Dave's WebLog

Welcome to my WebLog. Hopefully this will be my little corner of the web where I can be honest and say what I want to say. Please bear that in mind. This is me.


Disclaimer: This weblog in no way reflects the views of my employer. This weblog, like any other opinion piece is intended to be read as such and not taken seriously at all.

NOTICE!


I have found a new place to do my Blog (HERE - davespace.blog-city.com). I will try to keep this somewhat up to date so I can continue to post in other Blogger Blogs but there are no guarantees.

Quotes:


Arnold Ross: “Think deeply of simple things.”

Hanlon's Razor: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

Gunther Rall: “So every airplane has some problems in some areas, and if you know it, you can overcome it.”

Name:
Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada

Sunday, July 25, 2004

Install ... Completed :-)

The installation of our code completed yesterday; and arduous 12 hour process for me that started at 8:30 in the morning when the support phone rang and ended at 8:20 at night. Almost following the philosophy of some military commanders, I was the first on 'battlefield' and the last to leave.

All in all the installation went pretty well. Some install tasks fell out of place in the timeline causing some problems; the java makefile on production failed and we had to manually compile each code module separately; and a scattering of small bugs in some of the code appeared, indirectly causing other bugs in the install process to slow us down. My Java code also was installed, though functionality was not tested until late in the night (due to the location of the code and the other offices installed, it ended up not being part of the general DW install checklist).

Now, as I sit here, UCT is beginning. Connectivity and sanity testing has already been completed and it is now up to the end users to certify the code as installed and operating according to the specs. I expect some consternation today as things progress. This is mostly due to a lack of actual understanding on the part of the end-users as to what they are getting and how they are to operate it; like a caveman asking for some method of transportation to the stars and then immediately being placed in a rocket ship and told: Here you go. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home